Executives at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre (GCCEC) have been galvanised into helping to make a difference to Queensland’s homeless crisis.
They were horrified to hear the stats:
- Most Australians are just two pay days away from being homeless
- More than 105, 000 Australians are without a home – almost 20,000 are Queenslanders
- More than 34,000 are children – 17,000 are under 12
- 56% who are homeless are men; 44% are women
- On the Gold Coast alone, 1400 people are homeless on any given night
- The leading cause of homelessness is domestic and family violence, unemployment and social disadvantage
To help address the shocking statistics, the five executives have joined the Vinnies CEO Sleepout and pledged to raise $10,000 as a team. In return, they’ll join dozens of other executives and CEOs who have committed to sleeping in the open at Cbus Stadium on June 21 – the longest night during Winter.
GCCEC General Manager Adrienne Readings said the team were committed.
“It’s such a small sacrifice for us but we know it will make such a big difference in the life of individuals or families who are experiencing rough times,” she said.
“Just $50 provides a warm blanket and a meal so every little bit counts.”
The GCCEC team is General Manager Adrienne Readings, Deputy General Manager Raelene Barry, Executive Manager – Operations Greg Zahn, Executive Manager – Finance Nick Jeffrey and Director of Sales Michelle Mann.
To help make your own difference, you can donate to the GCCEC team at: https://www.ceosleepout.org.au/sponsor?kw=GC+Convention+%26+Exhibition+Centre
All donations are welcome, no matter what the size.